Do you have travel rituals ? Something you always do when you travel or first arrive in a place. I have my easing into vacation mode routine whenever I am in London which includes a visit to the Tate Modern ; my visits to "old town" areas or going up to the top of the tallest building in a city I am visiting. I also love exploring neighboorhoods that locals enjoy. In Barcelona, one of those neighborhoods is La Rambla.
The area of La Rambla runs from Playa Catalunya to the Christopher columbus monument at Port Vell. I was lucky to get a hotel in the heart of the aera. I checked into my hotel and headed out with just my camera. No plans and no maps. I followed the crowd and let the city and the crowds lead me. The street is lined with shops, restaurants and cafes, flower shops and souvenir shops and museums. The main attraction on La Rambla is La Boqueria market (La Rambla, 91, 08001 Barcelona, Spain), which is considered one of the best markets in the world (and I have to say , I agree). This is where I spent most of my time in the area. This market is a foodie's dream come tru with fresh juices, fruits & vegetable, olives, pastries, seafood, a few sweets stalls and the best empanadas. The market and La Rambla should be on your Barcelona itinerary. While stolling through this area, look out for the street performers especially the Human statue. A few other things to look out for in La Rambla
- Gran Teatre de Liceu. Historic opera house opened in 1847. address: La Rambla, 51-59, 08002 Barcelona
- Canaletes Fountain. Fountain on La Rambla said to have magical powers, such that if you drink from it, you will fall in love with Barcelona. address. La Rambla, 133, 08002 Barcelona
- La Virreina Centre de la Imatge. The highly decorated facde of this building is what will grab your attentions, but if you venture inside you might stumble on some incredible art exhibition. address: La Rambla, 99, 08002 Barcelona
- Amorino Gelato. Gelato (and sorbet) scooped in flower shapes. address: 125, 08002 Barcelona
- Casa Bruno Cuadros. Don't miss the elaborate decorations on the fascade of this building. address: La Rambla, 82, 08002 Barcelona
Here are snapshots from my time exploring La Rambla: